There are two different ways to add a retainer in Bill4Time.
Adding a retainer using Trust Accounting:
- Click on the Clients tab from the main menu
- Pull up the client's details by searching for them and clicking on their name
- If you need to add a bank account, click on the “+” symbol. Fill out all the required information and press the “Save” button.
- Press the Add Deposit button. Fill out the required information and press the Save button.
This deposit will sit in Trust and be separate from your Accounting. You can pull funds from Trust to deduct from outstanding totals. Click here for further instructions.
Adding a retainer using the Accounting tab of the client or matter:
- Press the Balance Adjustment button.
- Change the Type from Debit to Credit and fill out all further information
- Put in the Notes that this is a retainer.
- Press the Save button.
When invoices are sent out for this client or matter, the balance on the invoice will be a credit balance showing how much is left from the retainer automatically.