If your clients report that they aren't receiving the Invoice Emails sent through your Bill4Time account, but the Invoice Email Report displays the invoice status as "Sent", it is possible this is due to your firm's Email Domain. (e.g., MyLawFirm.com)
Many businesses utilize a Domain Provider Service (such as GoDaddy or Zoho) to host their company website domain, as well as their company email addresses. (e.g., JohnDoe@MyLawFirm.com)
When invoices are sent through our Invoice Email feature, the program that B4T utilizes for sending invoice emails uses only verified email domain settings from the "sender" address that you've selected. If the User or Firm Contact email addresses in your B4T account are hosted by an unverified domain, other email providers could be registering your invoice emails as potential spam.
While this is a common growing pain that some firms may experience when first using our Invoice Email feature, the good news is that it can be easily resolved with just a few steps!
Reach out to your IT Dept. or domain host provider to assist in verifying your email domain. Domain Verification is done by adding and/or updating the 2 specific TXT records outlined below within your domain account:
DKIM Record: (DomainKeys Identified Mail) uses “public key cryptography” to verify that an email message was sent from an authorized mail server, in order to detect forgery and to prevent delivery of harmful email like spam.
SPF Record: (Sender Policy Framework) provides an encryption key and digital signature that verifies that an email message was not forged or altered.
- DKIM Instructions
- Within the domain account, locate the DKIM Settings.
- Select the option to add/create a New DKIM TXT Record.
- TXT Record Name: (copy/paste) mandrill._domainkey.example.com
(replace "example.com" with your domain name)
- TXT Record Value: (copy/paste) v=DKIM1; k=rsa; p=MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQCrLHiExVd55zd/IQ/J/mRwSRMAocV/hMB3jXwaHH36d9NaVynQFYV8NaWi69c1veUtRzGt7yAioXqLj7Z4TeEUoOLgrKsn8YnckGs9i3B3tVFB+Ch/4mPhXWiNfNdynHWBcPcbJ8kjEQ2U8y78dHZj1YeRXXVvWob2OaKynO8/lQIDAQAB;
*NOTE* If after saving the new record, your domain appears duplicated in the Record Name field (mandrill._domainkey.example.com.example.com) simply edit the TXT Record and remove your domain from this field completely (e.g.,mandrill._domainkey.) and the domain name will auto-populate once you save the change.
- SPF Instructions
- Within the domain account, locate the SPF Settings (SPF Records may be displayed on the same DKIM Settings page).
- It is likely that an SPF TXT Record already exists in your domain account - the existing record may appear similar to "v=spf1 include:EXAMPLEHOST.com~all"
- Edit the existing SPF record and simply add the following value, in front of the last operator (?all, ~all, OR -all): include:spf.mandrillapp.com
Your updated SPF record should now appear as:
v=spf1 include:EXAMPLEHOST.com include:spf.mandrillapp.com~all
Verification Email Instructions
Once both of these TXT records have been created/updated within your domain, you will now need contact our Bill4Time Customer Support in order to have a Verification Email sent to your domain hosted email address. Email: Support@Bill4Time.com | Phone: 877-245-5484
The Support Agent will confirm that a verification email has been sent to you, then instruct you to simply FORWARD that email back to us ( Support@Bill4Time.com) to complete the verification process. (DO NOT click on the link in the verification email, this is for our internal use only).
Mandrill - the program in which our Bill4Time Client Portal utilizes for sending invoice emails - will not send from unverified domains or domains without valid SPF and DKIM records, this includes public domains such as gmail.com & yahoo.com. Click here to learn more about DNS Settings for SPF & DKIM Records.